Pages

Saturday, September 26, 2009

What Did I Get Myself Into?

I made plans to do a post on an article I read about educated Black women's dilemma of finding a Black man with similar credentials, but my mind is on something else at the moment. Have you ever had that friend that always felt the need to "one-up" you when it comes to comparing whose life sucks more? You know, the one who you tell, "I got a flat tire today" and they tell you, "Oh girl that's nothing, my car hit a tree, burst into flames AND killed a family of Dalmatians!"? Well I made the bright decision to move in with not one, not two, but three of these types of individuals and I can honestly say I am beginning to feel the regret.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am the queen of pessimism/sarcasm, but I feel like my negative views on life are nothing compared to the people I live with. Every activity, no matter how mundane or unimportant, is full of complaints and naysaying and paranoia about all the bad things that could possibly happen. I know it's good to prepare for the worst, but damn.

Even searching for a house turned into a drawn-out two-month nightmare complete with shattered dreams over the "perfect house" that couldn't be obtained due to a stubborn homeowner, flaky friends who pulled out of being roommates at the last minute, and arguments over who was doing the most "work" when it came to house hunting. I hadn't even seen the house that was ultimately chosen due to my annoyance with all the drama. When I finally saw it, my friend noticed that I was less than thrilled about seeing my new pad for the first time and commented, "You seem so enthused about it." If she had witnessed all the BS that went on in what should have been a fairly simple process, she would undoubtedly feel the same way.

To add on to everything, I now have the slight feeling that I am living with my parents. (Don't get mad, Mom, you know I love you.) But you know what I mean. Your parents go around the house turning lights off in rooms that aren't being used to "save" electricity, turning on vents in the kitchen when you're cooking, etc. It's annoying, but they're your parents. When it's a roommate doing the same thing, it gets under my skin. If I'm paying rent and splitting all the bills, why should it matter if I leave a light on in a room while I'm not in there? I mentioned that I wanted to buy a puppy once we moved into the new house and was immediately shot down with all of the stipulations one of my roommates has regarding dogs, including that they "can't bark." Really? Since when do dogs not bark? Keep in mind, this same roommate has a cat, and when I mentioned that that is the equivalent of saying that a cat can't "meow," he vehemently shook his head and argued that it's not the same. Yes, it is the same, because I find it just as annoying when your cat scratches and whines at my door while I'm trying to sleep as I would if a dog were barking outside the door. Then there's the recent situation of when I was given a key to check the mail and promptly told not to "lose it." As if I go around losing keys all the time. I AM NOT FIVE YEARS OLD! I just want to scream that shit at the top of my lungs.

I don't even know what my point is. Sometimes I just need to vent I guess. I keep telling myself, "Just be cool, just keep working, save up, and next year you can move into a place all by yourself." For some reason, that thought is not very comforting to me at the moment. And for the record, I am actively making plans to get a puppy very soon.

No comments: