Pages

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Patience Is A Virtue..........that I Don't Have.

After much unanticipated roommate drama that started almost instantly upon my move-in this past September, I have now made it my life goal to find my own apartment. The hunt began last weekend and I have found a few decent places, but nothing that I love. I have been doing my research and don't want to jump on the first place that I find just because they promise that first month's rent is free or try to woo me in with the mention of a heated Jacuzzi or something random.

My biggest fear of moving into a new place may be kind of silly and ridiculous, but I'll just go ahead and say it to get it over with. It's not safety issues, or location, or anything of the sort. I hate roaches. I hate insects of any kind really, but roaches....ugh, I get chills just thinking about it. I can probably count on one hand how many roaches I have seen in my lifetime, but I hate them nonetheless. I went to Puerto Rico this past summer and a friend of a friend picked us up to go out one night. She neglected to tell us that her car was infested with roaches, and I spent the whole night forcing myself to fight the urge to jump out of her car whenever I noticed something crawling around me.

I discovered a website called Apartmentratings.com and read the reviews on all of the apartment complexes that I am looking at as my next potential home. As soon as I see the word "roach," I immediately cross that complex off of my list. The thing that is really annoying to me about living in Atlanta is that people lie so damn much here. Maybe people lie everywhere, but I have noticed more of it living here. So even when I ask about pest control issues, and receive an emphatic, "Oh, no, not here!" I can't help but feel that they're bullshitting me. I mean after all, who tells a potential tenant, "Yes, we have plenty roaches that you will never be able to get rid of, regardless of bombing, spraying, etc." Well, with the exception of the one woman who showed a model apartment to me and some friends of mine back in July and I noticed some dead roach-like creatures in the bathtub. We inquired about insect problems in the complex and she informed us that we would have roach problems at any place we chose to reside. I gave her one of the deadliest looks I've ever given to any human being, but at the same time I was grateful that she was stupid enough to give us that heads up before we made the decision to sign a lease.

I want to stay within a certain budget, but it seems that the "nicer" apartments in the area close to where I work are going to be more expensive. I'm almost at the point where I would rather pay a bit more rather than going for cheap rent that includes unwanted visitors.

I am trying to pace myself as well so I can save up for all the money that I will have to pay up-front since my savings are a bit non-existent at the moment. However, it seems almost impossible to save up when I am simultaneously paying bills and rent at the hell hole I currently reside in. I also need to get repairs done to my car, which is always fun. AND due to my drunken antics that resulted in losing my brand new Blackberry, I now have to shell out $200 if I want another one. I know most would argue that a Blackberry is not a necessity, but after just a month of ownership I have decided that life without one is simply out of the question. At this rate, I'm thinking that by the time I save the money to move out, the lease at my current residence will probably be up, defeating the whole purpose of my moving out early.

Like the title suggests, patience has never been my strong point. If I want to move out, I want to move out NOW. If I want a new Blackberry, I want it NOW. If I want my car to be fixed, I want it fixed NOW. I know that's not how life works, but it doesn't stop me from wanting what I want when I want it.

No comments: