Pages

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Seriously?

So I tried (in vain) to go to sleep a few minutes ago, but I am so wound up and pissed off over the events that have taken place over the last few days that I cannot rest.

It all started last Tuesday night (or technically Wednesday morning) when I got off work. My supervisor comes running up to me with some paperwork, telling me I've been selected for a random drug test (fun). She tells me to bring in the paperwork with me the next day. No big deal, right? Wrong. So motherfucking wrong.

The clinic that the company has us go to has testing hours from 9am-11am and 1pm-4pm. I had an appointment to go to Wednesday afternoon at 2pm, so even though I don't go to sleep until around 4am, I set my alarm for 8:45 and drag my ass out of bed to get to the clinic by 9. I arrive about 5 minutes after 9 and park in the clinic's parking lot. Just as I am about to get out, I notice people walking up to the clinic's door and pulling on it....but it's locked. You've got to be kidding me, is what I think. You mean to tell me no one's here? So I sit in my car and wait, and call the clinic's phone number in the meantime, thinking that maybe someone is inside but they forgot to unlock the door or something. No one answers; I get sent to voicemail. I wait until about 9:30 and still no one has shown up. I look at the door to see if there's a sign or something saying that they are out of the office until such-and-such a time or closed for the day. Nothing. I don't know what the fuck is going on; I leave.

Later I call the clinic at 1pm; I know I will probably end up being late to my appointment at 2 but I figure maybe I can get this test done and then rush out. I get sent to voicemail again, leading me to believe that no one is there AGAIN. I'm annoyed, but I end up going about my day and decide that I will explain the situation to my supervisor when I get to work that night. She doesn't get in until 5pm so I don't bother calling her before then as I know the clinic will already be closed by then.

I get to work, put my things at my desk, then walk around to find my supervisor. She is walking straight towards me and asks if I have my paperwork. I tell her what happened earlier, and the bewildered look on her face tells me that this situation is 1000 times more serious than what I thought. She asks if I still have my paperwork and I tell her it's in my car. I ask if she wants me to go get it and she says that she has to go upstairs and ask "them" what to do. I don't know who the fuck "they" are, but I am beginning to get a bad feeling about this.

About an hour later, my supervisor comes to my desk and tells me to write a statement explaining why I didn't take the drug test. I write my statement and turn it in. After I get off work that night, my friend/roommate who is also one of my superiors at work tells me that if he were me, he would take the drug test the next day because Human Resources will be "watching" me. This is starting to make me feel like I work for the damn government and I don't like it. But I do what he says and take the drug test the next morning. When I get to work later that evening, I turn my paperwork in to my supervisor. Moments later she comes to my desk again and has me go upstairs with her. We meet with a woman who works in the Human Resources department. She sits down and says she read my statement, but doesn't understand why I didn't call anyone.

I stare at her for a moment, then ask, "Call who?" I tell her that I couldn't call my supervisor because she wouldn't have been in the office at 9am. The HR lady says I could have called someone in the HR department. This is the first time that I'm hearing about this, and I tell her I had no idea that I was supposed to contact them and that I didn't even have a number for the HR department. Then she has me write ANOTHER statement of why I didn't call anyone. She says that if I had "reached out for help" she could have stood behind me, but since I didn't, there was nothing she could do. She tells me that the company takes their drug policy "very seriously" and that they had other people go to the clinic for drug testing on Wednesday as well. I tell her that I did go to the clinic, no one was there, and I don't think it's right to assume that I should have waited an hour or two hours or however long it would have taken for someone to show up at the clinic. I tell her it's not like I blatantly refused to take the drug test. She stares at me blankly and then repeats her spill about me not calling anyone and asks if it "makes sense" to me. I just look at her because what I really want to say is "No, bitch, it doesn't make sense." She says that because I didn't go in when I was told to, it looks like a refusal. Then she says that I am suspended "pending investigation" and takes my number so she can call me.

I fight back tears until I get out to my car, and then have a mini breakdown as I am driving home. This feels like a nightmare. I can't believe I am being suspended over this bullshit, and being treated like a liar/drug addict. Friday comes and goes and I don't receive a phone call; the office is closed on the weekends so I get to wait in anxiety Saturday and Sunday. My roommate advises me to call my supervisor Monday to find out what's going on. I call her and leave a message. She calls me back minutes later, and by the sad tone in her voice I already know what she's going to say. She says they have decided to go through with the termination. I ask if it has anything to do with the test results and she says it's because I "refused" to take the test the day that I was supposed to. She says she's "sorry" and hangs up. I am so pissed I don't know what to do. I am driving and for some reason I feel like slamming into the car ahead of me at 60 miles per hour.

Are they fucking serious? Did they just fire my ass not because I tested positive for drugs, but because I didn't take the test the day I was told to? And not through any fault of my own, but because the tacky ass clinic that they sent me to wasn't open when they were supposed to be? And when was that bitch going to call and tell me I was fired, or was she just going to let me wait a week or two and figure it out on my own? I already knew I was done once they suspended me. I told my mother over the phone that I just couldn't see them saying, "Okay, you can come back to work Monday." The look on that woman's face when we spoke on Thursday told me that she didn't give a fuck what I said and she was just going through the motions.

I feel like setting that damn clinic on fire.....and the place that I worked at. I see why people go on shooting sprees when they get laid off. This is the icing on a very fucked up cake that has been my entire experience of living in Atlanta. After this, I officially wash my hands of this city.

No comments: