Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

Culture Shock.

I promised myself that I wouldn't get caught up in the "Well, they do things this way in Atlanta...." state of mind when I moved back home, because I know unnecessary drama can potentially follow when you're constantly making comparisons. But there are cultural differences that just can't be ignored. A few that I've noticed so far:

People actually put their blinkers on and drive according to the speed limit in St. Louis. I can't count how many times I came close to death while driving on the Atlanta highways because I was going 10 miles ABOVE the speed limit and some psycho in a BMW felt the need to tailgate me at 90 mph. And don't even THINK about putting your blinker on if you need to switch lanes or get off at an exit in the "A." Somehow, this prompts other drivers to do everything in their power not to let you over. Where are those traffic cops when you need them?

Everything is so close here! I've gotten so accustomed to leaving an hour before I have to be anywhere in anticipation of crazy traffic. Needless to say, my mom looked at me like I was insane when I announced that I was heading out at 11:45 for a 12:30 interview that was only 20 minutes from my house.

Speaking of interviews, the interview I had today was the most casual, stress-free interview I've had in forever. The guy I talked to was cracking jokes the whole time, and when I explained why I was fired from my last job, he waved his hand in dismissal and said, "Oh well." He went on to talk about how he has hired several college graduates who couldn't find jobs and encouraged them to continue to search for jobs in their field while working at his company. Don't know if I'll get the job, but it was refreshing to have an interview that didn't feel like a death sentence.

I thought I had more, but my mind is drawing a blank right now so I guess I'll stop there. I'll add more if I think of any later.


1 comment:

DLG said...

I feel you on the driving thing. I'm an ATL native, lived here my whole life & the way ppl drive IS ridiculous. I'm a speeder & when ppl tail me like I'm going 10 below the speed limit because they want to go 90, I actually slow down & they find a way to go around me. I refuse to go any faster lol.

Glad you had a good interview. Hope you get the job!