Pages

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Why, The Dream, Why?


From this.................




....................To this.

FAIL.

Disclaimer: I will not be re-posting any links to the song, as I feel enough disrespect has been shown already. Feel free to Google it if you want to subject yourself to this torture.

I don't even know where to begin with the coonery. If any of you follow blogs like I do, or if you've just heard about it through word-of-mouth, most of you know that a track was released yesterday by The Dream that covered Aaliyah's 1996 single "One in a Million." As soon as I read "The Dream covers 'One in a Million'" I knew there was going to be some bullshit. But I swallowed my fear/reluctance and pressed "play" to find out what exactly The Dream felt he had to offer to this song in particular.

What in the falsetto-autotuned nasal singing hell? What was he thinking? I mean, really, The Dream, what were you thinking? (Side note: the fact that I have to put "the" in front of this coon's name is another reason why I hate him.) I don't know if I missed the memo, but the last time I checked, The Dream was not at the top of the list of modern-day master vocalists. To be honest, I can't think of any current R&B artists (male or female) that would do this song justice. But since a male singer attempted to pull it off, I'll mention some names that MIGHT have gotten a pass from me. C.Breezy? Maybe. Usher? Hmm....he's skating on thin ice lately, but if it were back during his "Confessions" glory, perhaps. Not even Trey Songz tried to touch it, and this nigga comes out with a remix to other artists' songs every week! Yet The Dream, an artist who is a two-hit wonder AT BEST, thought he could swoop in with his irritating voice and remake a classic? Kill yourself.

It just....ugh....I don't think words can express how this disturbed my spirit. I never thought of myself as an Aaliyah "stan," but I suppose this whole spectacle has brought it out of me. And another thing: why does The Dream seem to be determined to establish himself as a sex symbol? I won't lie; I loved "Falsetto" when it first hit the radio, but when I saw who was the voice behind it, it killed the sexiness of it for me. The only image I see in my head when I hear that song now is his chubby face, oddly shaped body, and beady eyes. Not sexy at all. "One in a Million" was a sexy song when Aaliyah sang it; when The Dream tried it, I felt dirty and ashamed after listening. I curse him and whoever participated in the recording of that cover to the depths of album-flop hell.

2 comments:

☻TABOO♥ said...

COMPLETE AND UTTER FUCKERY! OMG... I searched for it just because of this post and I am soooooooooo damn upset right now. Like, wow. Why? No better yet, WHAT the hell was he thinking!? Im sure someone in his camp (if losers have camps) could have gave him some better advice about remaking Aaliyah's classic. SOME DAMN Body! Like... this is fuckery. smh smdh!

Yakitori said...

WTH does he need autotune all heavy like that for if he can sing?? -___-;; I never considered myself an Aaliyah stan either, but maaaaan that's HER song. Don't touch it, ESPECIALLY if you're a no talent hack.