Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

My Two Cents.

I've read quite a few blog posts on people's thoughts of this year's BET Awards, and the general consensus seems to be that it was much more dignified than last year's awards show. I didn't watch the awards last year, so I really can't make a comparison, but my review will be based on this year's show itself, as well as the BET awards shows I have watched in years past.

Since I have a reputation for being a "Debbie Downer" or "Negative Nancy," I will start with the positives. First off, Nia Long looked absolutely gorgeous! She's another one to add to the "girl crush" list. How old is she? Eh, it doesn't even matter. I know she's been in the entertainment industry for a minute, and she's still shitting on girls half her age. She and Stacey Dash must be sipping on the same youth serum.

Next: Prince. I did not realize how much I loved Prince until I saw him at the 2010 BET Awards. His facial expressions during his tribute were priceless. Can't say that I blame him though. I love me some Janelle Monae, but for some reason she just wasn't doing it for me in her performance. I'm glad to see that BET gave her some shine; it would have been nice to see her perform her OWN music though. She seemed like she was trying too hard to get Prince's approval. *Shrugs*

Now onto my not
-so-favorite parts of the night. One thing I've noticed about BET that seems like it will never change is their ass-backwardness in doing things. Never have I seen a television network that can be so stuffy, yet so tacky at the same time. "Boughetto" is the term, I think. Take for instance, the notorious "ban" that BET put on R&B singer Ciara's video "Ride." No one quite knows the true reason behind why the video has been banned, not even Ciara herself, but basically I think the notion is that her video is too "racy" for daytime (or anytime) viewing. Never mind all those borderline-XXX videos that BET airs on a daily basis. Yet BET invites Ciara to be a presenter, wearing what can best be described as a red leather tube top. I didn't see anything wrong with what she was wearing, but then again I didn't have a problem with her music video either. Perhaps the message is: "You can wear skimpy clothing, as long as you don't ride a mechanical bull while doing so"? Things that make you go hmmm.......


Then there was the almost
-kiss between Nia Long and Larenz Tate. Somehow, BET's producers thought that viewers would much rather see Rocsi and Terrence J swap spit. Excuse me while I dry heave. If I could be a sniper for just one day......okay, let me stop. I guess I should give BET kudos for accomplishing the amazing feat of pairing two of the world's most annoying people together, and shoving them in our faces Monday-Friday.

Of course, the highlight of the night was Mr. Breezy himself in the much-anticipated MJ tribute. I have to give him props. The boy can dance his ass off. He also provided me a lifetime of laughter with this photo. HOWEVER, just like everything else, black people always have a way of blowing shit waaaayyyyy out of proportion. If I didn't know any better, I would think CB's performance was the second coming of Christ. Suddenly everyone has a story of how they cried along with him and that they now "officially forgive" him. You mean to tell me that the American public has scrutinized, ridiculed, taunted, and practically crucified Chris Brown for the past year-and-a-half, and all he had to do was moonwalk to get approval from you niggas? If I'm not mistaken, he's done MJ tributes before, but he had to actually perform at an awards show in order for people to realize he's talented? Like nearly every situation involving Chris Brown since the "incident," I don't have a problem with him; I have a problem with the "Team Breezy" stans and bandwagon-hoppers who hype up every single thing that he does, whether good or bad.

Moving on.

Other notables:

For the love of all things good and holy, can BET please get better microphones/sound systems for the performances? I had to turn my TV up to the highest volume and it still sounded like they were whispering.

Did anyone else notice the smedium red sweater T.I. wore during that bit with Queen Latifah? I tried to Google it, but no luck finding any pics.

Why did little Willow (Jada and Will's daughter) look like the latest pre-pubescent androgynous member of the Black Eyed Peas? I understand letting your kids express themselves and all, but come on.

Did I miss the memo that "Dirty Money" has now become "Diddy Dirty Money"? Am I the only one who still doesn't know the name of the girl who is not an ex-Danity Kane member?

Why is Chaka Khan at the awards EVERY DAMN YEAR?

I'm done. Until next year.

Photos courtesy of:

http://toppayingideas.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/chris-brown-bet-awards.jpg
http://ultimate-ciara.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=1114&pos=2
http://www.monstersandcritics.com/music/features/article_1566933.php/In-Pictures-2010-BET-Awards?page=32

11 comments:

Latoya said...

True. True. And True. I couldn't have said it better myself. BET did a much better job than in the past. The awards actually looked professional for once. I still think they have some ways to go to put together a stellar show. I'm still mad Prince didn't perform and that DJ Khaled and crew "closed" the show.

UglyCleanBroke87 said...

Lol, yes I was scratching my head at the final performance too. It was very random/disorganized.

Ashli Brooke said...

Lol i love this!!
Great review..I shared some of the same feelings.
Although, you didnt mention one of my ultimate favorite moments of the show...EL DEBARGE!!!! What a GREAT surprise...in my opinion! =) Love me some him!

Ashli Brooke said...

Lol i love this!!
Great review..I shared some of the same feelings.
Although, you didnt mention one of my ultimate favorite moments of the show...EL DEBARGE!!!! What a GREAT surprise...in my opinion! =) Love me some him!

Alee said...

*Adds Nia Long to the girl crush list*

I couldn't stop laughing at Prince's facial expressions during Janelle Monae's performance and I laughed even harder at the ones he made when Trey Songs sang Purple Rain. Just when I thought he eased up on all that yodeling, he had to do it during the Prince tribute. Smh...

(Side note: I see where Trey gets his looks. His mother is so pretty for a moment I thought she was his date.)

Am I the only one wondering where Ciara picked up that California valley girl accent? I thought she was from the A.

Terrance and Rocci are like those annoying kids you get stuck sitting next to in class because all the good seats were taken.

lol @ Chris Brown moonwalking for forgiveness and *DEAD* @ that picture of him.

Ha ha! This post just made my night.

Seygra20 said...

Your review made me wish I watched it. I have never seen a BET Awards show though.

*stacie-ann said...

thanks for visiting my site. you are welcomed to come back anytime! thanks hun <3

khaki la'docker said...

whats funny is that this was the 1st bet awards show that i actually watched the whole way through...
highlight... trying to see diddy's performance through all that damn smoke and prince's face

UglyCleanBroke87 said...

@Ashli, yes El Debarge did do a great job performing as well. He sounded exactly the same as he did "back in the day." It's refreshing when old-school singers can still throw down on the classics.

@Alee, I thought Trey Songz' mom was his gf too. And Ciara has had that valley girl accent for a minute now. I think she's been hanging around the Kardashians too long lol.

@Seygra, you've never watched the BET awards? That just might be a good thing. Then again, you've been missing out on 10 years of great comic relief! :)

@Stacie, thanks for visiting!

@Khaki, someone needs to tap Diddy on the shoulder and tell him smoke machines are so 1997.

P.S. Thanks to the new followers!

Rembrandt18 said...

Yes, Nia Long is so luscious. and No one cares about Diddy or Dirty Money so it's just one less name for the "whatever happened to" questions.

The Chris Brown thing could have been avoided if he had competent management but it's whatever. Ciara looked like she had on a fruit roll-up.

tha unpretentious narcissist© said...

BET is the devil. i also crush hard on nia long.

but let me just say i'm dead at "you mean all CB had to do was moonwalk and yall niggas forgive him"..

EXACTLY..lol