Pages

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Time Flies.

This year is officially halfway through......wow. Where did all that time go? Why do I feel like I haven't accomplished a damn thing in the past six months? Lol. I looked at my list of goals for 2010 and I've achieved 2.5 goals so far. =/ Sigh. Amazing how abruptly shit can change. I'm trying to keep a positive outlook and whatnot, so I won't start complaining about the shitty-ness that occurred almost immediately after the New Year ended (or......started).

I WILL, however, ponder the irony that for the past couple years, my year will start out really great and make a turn for the worst during the second half of the year, or vice versa. I wonder when (or if) I will ever have a full year of greatness. I guess the upside to the phenomenon that I've noticed would indicate that my year should start getting better in a little while, since the first half of this year sucked beyond imagination.

Depending on some of the decisions that I may or may not make in the upcoming months, life could change significantly for me. As of last week, I am seriously considering signing up for the Navy. Enlisting in the military is an idea that I've toyed around with at different points in my life before, but never actually had the nerve to go through with. I contacted the National Guard some time last year, and while I was in Atlanta, a friend and I made plans to study for the ASVAB so we could go into the Navy together. Of course we never got around to actually studying though. Ah, the joys of procrastination.

As with everything, I'm doing my research and trying to learn everything there is to know about living and working in the Navy, since it seems to be one of those "things" that people don't really like to talk about. Whenever I ask someone who's served in the military to tell me what it was like, they simply say it was "hard." Okay....and what the hell does that mean? Can I get more adjectives please? Is there a code of honor I don't know about that says you can't discuss anything that goes on when you're in the military? I figure it can't be a piece of cake, and I don't want it to be, but a little insight from someone who's experienced it would be nice. I know there are good financial benefits involved, which is one reason why I'm really leaning towards it. Most of the people that I have met that served in the military seem to have their shit together (financially) and are living comfortably. (With the exception of a family member that won't be mentioned beyond this point.) The Navy will help pay for school, and I could really use financial assistance to finish my degree (that doesn't come in the form of a high-interest loan).

On the flip side, from the scraps of information I've accumulated, I'm led to believe that enlisting in the military is synonymous with going to prison. The only difference is that you actually make the choice to go. I wonder how smart it would be to volunteer to go to a prison-like institution. I've always had issues with authority figures, and I've found through my research that you HAVE to do what you're told, or you could get in serious trouble. Then you can't have your iPod when you're training....or use Internet? How is an Internet whore like myself going to deal with that? I go into mini-convulsions when I take out-of-town trips for the week and stay in hotels that don't have wireless access.

I guess I have to prioritize what's really important, and decide whether or not my freedom is that important to me. Yes, I'm being melodramatic. Let me have my moment.

4 comments:

khaki la'docker said...

damn, it has been 6 months. the only thing that i can say that I did accomplish was losing weight but even that has started to fall off the priority list.

Carla said...

Now that you've reminded me that we're halfway through the year, I must agree that this year is truly flying by!

I'm sure you know that no one has a completely PERFECT year. Now that you've recognized the fact that you haven't accomplished much of what you plan, it's a good time to start. Hell, you have plenty of time left and you seem like a very determined and intelligent individual (from your blogs) so I'm sure you can get a few more accomplished.

I have a friend who's in the Navy and she loves it. I've actually never heard her complain about it. If this is something that you are seriously considering, I'd suggest you work on being submissive as you've already indicated it is required. You know how some people in positions of power feel - you owe them SOMETHING for all the hard work they completed to get where they are. Seeing as though you know this already, I'm sure it wouldn't be extremely hard for you to adjust.

Alee said...

Girl I thought I was the only one that was wondering WTF happened to 2010? That shit snuck right past me.

UglyCleanBroke87 said...

@Carla thanks for the kind words...that means a lot to me! I agree, the year is not nearly done yet so I still have time to take care of some business. I spoke to a Navy recruiter last week and I'm taking the next steps toward enlisting, so I'm excited to see how everything goes.