Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

What's the Definition of Realistic?

I listened to the radio today and heard a segment about an interview P. Diddy had with Martin Bashir. Bashir touched on a sensitive topic when he questioned Diddy about the estimated $400,000 Maybach Diddy gave to his sixteen-year-old son as a birthday gift on the MTV show "My Super Sweet Sixteen," and whether or not he was teaching his son a "good lesson." While Diddy stated that he's free to do what he wants with his money and his children, blogs and radio stations have discussed whether the extravagant birthday gift was "realistic" to bestow upon his young son.

Now as much as I can't STAND Diddy, which is a whole other post, I have to say that I don't feel he did anything wrong by purchasing a Maybach for his son. I really don't see how his actions were "unrealistic," as some have said. As we all know, Diddy is flashy as hell, and he always seems willing to pull out all the stops when throwing parties or shopping, no matter the cost. Not to say Diddy doesn't have any financial woes because I'm not his accountant, but as long as he's not coming to me to loan him almost half a mil for a Maybach, why should I worry what he does with his cash? Why should ANYONE worry what he does with it?

Call me ignorant, but from what I know, Diddy's been in the industry for a minute. He has a record label, clothing line, and a fragrance line. I don't follow all of his business endeavors but those are the few that I know of. Even though the artists he has unleashed to the public lately have been questionable to say the least, I'd say he is most likely making more than enough money with all of those businesses. Shit, he's probably still living off money he made from Biggie in the 90s. Like I said, I don't like him as a person, but I can say that he appears to be pretty solid as an entrepreneur and isn't as frivolous with his money as idiots like *cough* Souljah Boy *cough*.

I always find it funny that non-famous people are so quick to categorize celebrities' purchases as "outlandish," while not realizing that we do the same thing everyday, just on a smaller scale. Even for myself, I know I've had moments in my life where I've splurged on an item that wasn't exactly a necessity. I know the argument most will make about the Diddy/Maybach situation is that they would never spoil their children like that. Yeah. That's because you can't. Of course a $400,000 car seems outlandish if you make $40,000 a year. I don't think Diddy buying that car for his kid is much different than the average American buying a Toyota Corolla for their son or daughter.

Let it rest, folks. I won't talk shit about Diddy's spending habits unless he pulls an M.C. Hammer in the future.

1 comment:

Alee said...

"I know the argument most will make about the Diddy/Maybach situation is that they would never spoil their children like that. Yeah. That's because you can't. Of course a $400,000 car seems outlandish if you make $40,000 a year."

lol

*DEAD*