Pages

Friday, July 2, 2010

Peer Pressure.

First things first. Today is PAYDAY! It's definitely a nice reward because the past three weeks of waking up at 5am every day have been killing me. One of the guys in my class didn't get his paycheck today for some reason. How fucked up is that? I'm just glad it was him and not one of the hoodrats, because y'all already know they would have acted a straight FOOL if their money wasn't there today.

However, there always seems to be some petty drama that comes about. Last Friday, Hoodrat #1 found out that another training class had voted to leave work at 2pm instead of their usual time of 3pm. She pleaded with our trainer to let us leave early as well, but the trainer told her that we would only be allowed to leave if everyone unanimously voted for it. If even one person wanted to stay until 3, everyone had to stay. There were a few people who said that they wanted their hours and voted to stay for our whole shift. Over the next week or so, I overheard the Hoodrat Twins saying things like, "Okay, we had to stay til 3 last Friday, but on payday we all gon' vote to leave at 2, 'cuz I'ma be ready to cash my check!"

Now let me say this before I go on. I hate working just as much as the next person, but I love money. My love for money is probably unhealthy, but I love it just the same, and I have no problem with working for it. I also need the money. If I had things my way, I most definitely wouldn't be getting up at the crack of dawn every day to go work at a damn call center. With that being said, as much as I loathe this new job, I'm doing what I have to do to pay my (endless) bills. I've accepted the fact that a million dollars is not going to fall from the sky anytime soon, so until it does, I have to work. Leaving work early and not getting paid for it is not going to help my situation.

So the time comes where everyone in class has to vote to stay or leave early. Our options are to leave at 2:00, 2:30, or 3:00. If anyone wants to leave early, it's me. I'm exhausted and burned out from a week of hoodratted-ness, sleep deprivation, and boredom. I'm ready to get started on my three-day weekend (even though I don't have shit to do), and forget that these people exist for that short period of time. As everyone is voting though, of course the Hoodrat Twins are cutting up in the back of the room. "Vote for 2:00, people!" "Remember we talked about this all week, y'all know what to do!" "I got shit to do, I'm trying to get up outta here!" "My credit union closes at 3, I gotta get this money!"

There must be some sort of switch in my brain that instinctively allows me to do the complete OPPOSITE of whatever someone tells me I HAVE to do. My thought process is that I could honestly give a damn what time your credit union closes, or what plans you made when you know that you work until 3pm. Just because you are loud and obnoxious, and have intimidated everyone else in our class to do what you say, doesn't mean I will. So I vote to stay until 2:30. When our trainer announces what time we will be leaving, all hell breaks loose. The hoodrats ask around the whole room to find out who voted to stay until 2:30, as if they're trying to find the person that stole their paycheck. After a process of elimination, Hoodrat #1 looks at me and exclaims, "You voted for 2:30, didn't you!?" I look at her and simply reply, "It's called SILENT voting for a reason."

Of course, hoodrats don't understand the dynamics of voting, so they continue to proclaim me as the awful person who wants to stay at work for an extra half hour. As time goes by, I hear comments made that whomever voted to stay until 2:30 is "ignorant" and "trying to be uppity on a Friday," whatever the hell that means. I can't believe these chicks are really getting heated over having to leave work half an hour later, although it is technically half an hour EARLIER than our regularly scheduled time. I'm beginning to feel a bit uneasy. I've overheard the hoodrats swapping stories about getting into fights over bullshit, and I'm not in the mood to get jumped after work. It's really not that deep. I'm not necessarily afraid of them, but I'm not stupid. I don't want to be the latest example of "When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong." I've seen enough episodes of Jerry Springer to know that I should choose my battles wisely. This situation has made me all the more anxious to get the fuck out of this hell hole, and I admit to my trainer that I was the 2:30 voter, and ask if we can leave at 2:00 instead. She is waiting on someone in our class to finish an assessment, so she says she'll let me know.

I come back from the bathroom later, and the trainer writes on the board that we have to vote again whether to leave at 2:15 or 2:30. I quickly write 2:15 on a piece of paper and hand it in, while the hoodrats plead again for everyone to vote for the earlier time. It's a unanimous vote this time, and I hightail it out of there at 2:15 on the dot.

This is a prime example of why I hate "team" shit. I'm a firm believer in people being free to choose what they want to do without being bullied for it. At my last job, there was none of this group voting bullshit. My supervisor simply asked everyone around the office if they wanted to stay at work later; the people that wanted overtime stayed, and the people that didn't went home. Simple. Now I'm getting half the pay and twice the drama over some pseudo-democracy that is really based on who can give the most attitude when they don't get their way.

6 comments:

Alee said...

"My credit union closes at 3, I gotta get this money!"

lol
#thingblackpeoplesay

1/2 and hour is really not that big of a deal. I don't see what all the fuss was about...

Rembrandt18 said...

lol You know people had to go buy some new hooker gear and go to the club. You should have made a text to a ghetto friend of yours (everyone has one) and said be on alert. They weren't going to figt on poayday regardless, check cashing places and liquor stores were still open.

Fashion Cents said...

I can see what you mean about getting annoyed with people at work lol. My plan is to suck it up for another month and a half until I quit and focus on school again lol. good luck to you

tha unpretentious narcissist© said...

lmao..you should have kept it late. shit. they didn't know 100% if was you. after they started talking shit you should have just looked at them and been like, "yanno what you keep talking and next time i'll vote for 3pm".

hoodrats fight with their loud talking. they don't have no fight in them. the first thing they go for is hair. then clothes. as long as you punching, you got them.

Carla said...

Maybe the hoodrats are different where you are because I definitely wouldn't have given a damn about what ignorant bishes had to say about it.

UglyCleanBroke87 said...

I know, I know...I punked out lol. I'm good at making fun of hoodrats, not so much at confronting them. I probably need to work on that. ;)