Pages

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Teen Mom.

I'm not much of a TV watcher. As I'm sure most of you would agree, there isn't much substance on TV today. I used to be a reality TV junkie, but even that has gotten old...although I still love me some "Bad Girls Club." Anyway, sometimes I get sucked into watching some poorly scripted "reality" show that makes me lose just a little bit more faith in humanity, and today was no exception.

After watching the corny acting on "Parental Control," I tuned in to MTV's "Teen Mom." As a side note, I know this is old, but am I the only one still a bit jaded over the fact that MTV plays close to zero music videos nowadays? I feel like they could at least have the decency to change the network name to "Fake Reality Television" or something. But I digress. So I'm watching this show, and these girls are so simple-minded they make me want to get MY tubes tied. Listening to them speak and interact with their parents, boyfriends, and children is so painful. One girl sent a text to her baby's father to ask if he would start paying child support. *Hangs head in disbelief*

I'm all for texting and using technology as a resource and what not, but wouldn't the issue of financial support for your child require a face-to-face interaction? This is yet another time where I feel like I might as well be using a cane because I feel so old for thinking these young whipper-snappers just don't have any sense.

My main issue with the girls on the show is that they seem to have had no concept of what having a baby would be like. It's as if they didn't even know where babies came from until they were in labor. Every girl starts the show off with the monologue that was obviously provided by an MTV producer and does her required mono-syllabic Teleprompter reading: "I had no idea how hard it would be to take care of a child. Being a mom at my age is hard."

No shit Sherlock! I'm sorry that you took naps during Sex Ed, or that your parents never told you about the birds and the bees, but having a baby should be a crash course in parenthood. Little Billy is here now, and there's not a whole lot you can do about it. Gasping at the cost of diapers and baby food is irrelevant at this point. I don't look down on people who had kids as a teenager, but my beef is with the ones who play the victim when they get pregnant. Unless your boyfriend slipped and fell into your vagina one day, I can't feel any sympathy for you. Life may be harder for you now, but not because of something that you had no control over. What's really sad is when people don't learn their lesson the first time. One of the girls thinks she may be pregnant again.

Sigh.

4 comments:

stephanie said...

:(

Seygra20 said...

I like this show but its a spin off 16 and pregnant,(i prefer 16 and pregnant thou)and yea I get aggravated every time I hear some of the girls say "I am on birth control and yea I used it properly so how did this happen?"........just makes me think how glad I was to be a regular teenager ........carefree and innocent

Alee said...

I soooo agree. These little girls have no business having children. They have their entire lives ahead of them and completely ruin it because they want to "be grown" and have sex. I usually don't watch the teen mom/16 and pregnant shows because I actually feel embarrassed for them. They look ridiculous barely knowing how to spell or do algebra yet they have a child.

& lol @ sending a text message asking for child support.
*dead*

Alee said...

I soooo agree. These little girls have no business having children. They have their entire lives ahead of them and completely ruin it because they want to "be grown" and have sex. I usually don't watch the teen mom/16 and pregnant shows because I actually feel embarrassed for them. They look ridiculous barely knowing how to spell or do algebra yet they have a child.

& lol @ sending a text message asking for child support.
*dead*