Pages

Monday, August 23, 2010

Always Gotta Throw Shade.


Okay, for once I'm not just posting a random picture of Michael Ealy because I'm in love. I actually have a point this time. Today while I was bored at work I decided to check my Blogger Dashboard for the 20 millionth time to see what was cracking in the blogger world. Imagine my unadulterated delight when I saw this interview posted on Necole Bitchie's website. Of course I clicked the link quick, fast, and in a hurry so I could see what my hubby and uh, Chris Brown too had to say about the upcoming movie. Since the video was only a couple minutes long, my boredom compelled me to look through all the comments that had been left on the post as well.

Tell me why the VERY FIRST comment says: "I don't even like lightskin brothers but.. LET US PRAY. TOO Too fine!"

*Slams on imaginary brakes, making that ever so poignant "skkkkkrrrrrtttt" sound*

Why? Just.....why? I know it was a black woman. Anyone who wants to come at me about being prejudiced or jumping to conclusions can kiss my ass, because I know it was a black woman. How do I know this? Because black women--and black people in general--are the main ones always hooping and hollering about being discriminated against and/or mistreated because of their weight, their skin color, their nose, their lips, their hair texture, their social/economic background, yet they will turn around and "clown" someone else for the same reasons.

The "I don't like light skinned dudes" comment is one that I've heard far more times than I care to talk about. I have never understood why it seems to be a cardinal sin to be attracted to light skinned black men. It's also contradictory as hell, because every time I've seen a cute light skinned guy at school or at a club, a flock of females is never too far behind him. If they are so undesirable, why all the groupies? If one doesn't like light skinned brothers, why is one making an "exception" for the likes of Chris Brown and Michael Ealy?

What's even worse about comments like the ones mentioned above, is that the women who make the comments are the same ones who would be ready to fight a nigga if he said, "Yo, I don't usually like dark-skinned chicks, but you bad." How can you get mad though? Isn't that the EXACT same thing? Why is it suddenly a problem when derogatory comments are made about people that have a darker complexion? Why is it only okay to give under-handed compliments to someone if they are light-skinned?

Not to mention, with all the drama about black women not being able to find a "good man," are we really going to be that picky when it comes to choosing someone? Just a few days ago, my brother was taunting me because whenever I'm crushing on a guy, he always happens to be light skinned. I don't know why that is....I have always just had a "thing" for them. However, I can honestly say that I have NEVER, EVER rejected/snubbed a guy because he was of a certain skin tone. As picky as I am, I am willing to compromise my preference of certain physical qualities more than I am on personality and/or intelligence. I'll take an intelligent dark-skinned brother who can hold a conversation, over a Michael Ealy look-alike that can't spell, any day. I know y'all don't believe me, but it's cool. I hear too many women making up bullshit reasons for why they won't entertain certain guys and it's ridiculous. I'm not saying every black woman should take the first man that comes her way, but why is it a deal breaker if he's a certain height, or skin color, or tucks his shirt in instead of letting it hang?

Maybe it's just me.

4 comments:

I'm Alee. said...

"and uh, chris brown too"
Ha ha! I caught that...

I have been that black chick who says ignorant shit like "I'm not checking for light skinned dudes." For the longest time I thought they were all stuck up pretty boys so I avoided them and made it clear that I was not interested.
Then I realized skin color has nothing to do with it. Bitch ass niggas come in all shades, colors, shapes and sizes. That's what I should REALLY be avoiding.

UglyCleanBroke87 said...

LMAOOOO @ "Bitch ass niggas come in all shades, colors, shapes and sizes." I love you for that! I was having a shitty day, but that quote gave me life. :)

★Starrla Monae☆ said...

*raises hand* Call me guilty because those words have left my mouth as well. At one point I was all about that light bright and when I got older I wanted the darker berry. Now I just want a man....lol be he dark or light, I'll be fine as long as he treats me right.

Poppy said...

I love all shades & races...I always have BUT I do discriminate when it comes to height. I've dated men shorter than me but I dont want to have to put myself through that again. I HATE looking down to kiss someone & I hate resting my head on a man's shoulders when we hug lol.
Other than that I just have simple "prefrences" that have nothing to do w/ looks...as long as they look good to me :-)