Pages

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Here We Go.

So.......I may or not get fired because I said "Oh my God" under my breath while dealing with a belligerent customer today. And the thought of being fired makes me happy and sad.

Happy, because I have loathed coming to work every day since I started training, and because I feel absolutely violated that I have to work 60+ hours a week just to pull a decent paycheck. Sad, because a shitty job is the equivalent of being in a shitty relationship/friendship: you hate it and know it should be put to an end, but when and if that time ever comes, you want to be the one doing the dumping, not the other way around.

Anyway, back to this cunt who called in today. I usually refrain from using that word because it's super vulgar, but in this case, that's the best word I can think of to describe the woman I spoke with. She was nasty from the moment I answered the call. Her complaint was that she had ordered a replacement phone yesterday, and got an e-mail with the tracking number. When she checked the e-mail, she saw an order for a replacement battery for a phone that she did not own. I checked the order tracking system to try to figure out what she was talking about. I saw the order for her phone, but nothing about a battery. At this point, I'm thinking: "This bitch is crazy." She obviously just wanted to call to complain about an issue that didn't exist, then got pissed because I couldn't find any information regarding this non-existent issue. She complained about how many times she had been transferred before getting to my department, and demanded to know why another customer service rep had told her there was an order for a battery if there wasn't. I paused for about ten seconds while looking through previous notes on her account, and she snapped that "all this dead silence is bad customer service."

At some point, I suppose I muttered, "Oh my God" out of pure frustration that I had to stay on the phone with a customer who didn't even have a real issue, when I could be helping someone who did. At this point, she asked for a supervisor and said, "Do you want your job? I hope they're recording this call." I gladly put her on hold to get in touch with someone in the "escalations" department, and she hung up while I was speaking with someone on the other line. The escalations team member told me he would call her back, and that was that.

Now I think I was fairly calm, considering the situation. I can think of a million worse things that I could have said besides "Oh my God." However, I have had first-hand experience with being terminated over some petty shit, based solely on the whim of the pigmentally-challenged, and I'm in no hurry to be in that predicament again. I've heard stories of people from my current job getting the boot because they said a few choice words to a customer when they thought they had hit the mute button, but I don't know if my slip-up is serious enough to require disciplinary action.

We shall see. I just know that if I find out I don't have a job after a 35 minute drive tomorrow, some office equipment will be vandalized.

4 comments:

I'm Alee. said...

I don't think that's enough cause to get fired. It sounded like the woman was purposely looking for a reason to argue with you. Your supervisor should know the difference between that, and bad customer service.

Megan said...

I'm with Alee, I don't think that you'd get fired over that. Maybe reprimanded if even. But most likely the lady was nasty and unresonable with whom ever she may/may not have spoken to in escalations and her ccomplaint will be quickly dismissed

UglyCleanBroke87 said...

Y'all were right...I didn't get fired. I'm just paranoid as hell. Lol.

Side note: Megan I am going to have to get used to the new you. I was looking at your comment like, "Who is Megan?!" Lmao

HersheyKissez said...

glad you didnt get fired!! I know all too well about dealing with crazy customers =/ it does get stressful and from time to time we all gotta say "omg" to the fools! lol