Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Big Chop.

I made the decision several weeks ago to go natural. Not because I'm jumping on any bandwagon, but because relaxers are fucking expensive and time-consuming, and also because I have secretly always wanted to have a big beautiful ass Afro. I don't know why, but I just want it. Most of my hair is still relaxed, but now I have the texture of my new growth as well so I'm in between textures. (In other words, I'm in the "transitional" stage. That's some of the fancy lingo I've picked up from browsing natural hair websites.) It's kind of annoying having to deal with both textures, so the next logical step would be to do the "Big Chop," or "BC."

I cut my hair about a year ago and have been wearing a style similar to Rihanna's pixie cut back in 2009, so you'd think I would be over the whole "looking like a boy" fear, but for some reason chopping my hair down to a couple inches freaks me out. I think I have a masculine face, and I'm skinny as hell so.....yeah. As if I don't already have a hard enough time getting noticed by guys, I can only imagine how it will be once I'm nearly bald.

Is that what it's really about though? Probably not, but I just have to be honest about my concerns. I never thought hair texture/length was that big of a deal, but it becomes pretty obvious that it is when women will quickly throw on a silky wig or put in weave to make themselves look more attractive when going out. I suppose I'm still affected by it since I can already hear the comments and see the looks I will get once I do the BC. I already had plenty of people try to convince me NOT to cut my hair last year, although none of them could give me a good reason why. *rolls eyes*

Fuck it. I'ma do it. It's just hair. If I hate it, I can always just put a paper bag over my head, right?

In the meantime, here are some photos of my "natural" inspirations:















11 comments:

khaki la'docker said...

I love Bree and Eva's hair cut is so pretty. She has the perfect face for that style.
Im sure you'll work the shorter hair... i say go for it

tha unpretentious narcissist© said...

*yawn* @ all you chicks going natural. lol.

my chick calls herself going natural. she's been doing it for over a year and is completely obsessed. all she talks about. always buying products trying different shit. and swears she's chopping her hair off at the beginning of the year.

i honestly wish she would just do it, so she can shut up about it. seriously. lol..

UglyCleanBroke87 said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence Khaki!

@UN I'ma need you to stop hating on my natural journey okay? We girls are sensitive about this type of shit....if you can post mushy shit all the time I can talk about my hair dammit! Lol

I'm Alee. said...

Wow, all these women are beautiful. I'm proud of you for making the decision to go natural. I stopped relaxing my hair in 2006 after I saw how badly they damaged my hair and scalp. NEVER AGAIN! When you see me with strait hair it's because I blow-dried & pressed it.

My sister (who's 5 years older) had the same concerns that you have when she decided to grow dreads. First she went through that awkward "in between" phase with the relaxer/natural textures, then she did the BC & it all started to grow back. F*ck what other people think. Do you!

*sorry for the long ass comment*

I'm Alee. said...

*DEAD* @ unpretentious's comment

Poppy said...

I went natural about 2 yrs ago with out making the big chop. I just got a trim once a month & deep conditioned my hair every 2 wks...but washed it every week. I will admit, it was so frustrating!!! When I got hot & half of my hair was super frizzy & the ends were straight...I looked fuckin crazy lol.

But its all about your tolerance level. I wouldnt chop my own hair off because I too am super skinny & I think I have "manish" features. lol. Good Luck!

Yakitori said...

If you're worried about femininity, big funky earrings are your friend! Then again, I don't care about looking like a (tiny) boy. It is what it is. I've been called "sir" more than a few times in my life, and that's back when I had "long" hair, lol.

Eyes on the Prize said...

Hey! Yeah I know that fear you are talking about gurl. I have cut my hair down about three or four times in my life. I thought no guy would talk to me or whatever but that was not the case. I still got a lil play suprisingly! I learned to like it and was cool after my 'adjustment period' was over. U gotta just do it.

When I was growing out the perm last time I just did braids...for like um years. Now my hair is completely natural and I do have the fro - but do I wear it out? Maybe like once or twice a year. LOL. I just posted about me and my hair the other day. I just rock the wigs. Mainly because I work out 4-5 days a week and it sweats and gets all drawn up cuz it's THICK. Lots of work to whip it back. I see chicks in NYC with the cutest natural looks though! Every now and then I get inspired to wear it. But I wear the wigs cuz I like the ease of it, plus I can be a different girl whenever I want! Including doing my 'fro or pressing out my real hair too. I will probably never get a perm though! Why for? Instant perms can be bought at the local wig store - for a lot less money!

UglyCleanBroke87 said...

Thanks for the comments ladies!

@Eyes LMAO @ instant perms. That's so true though....I've never worn a wig but that was the first thing I planned on buying if I didn't like my hair after I cut it. I have another question: since you work out, how often do you wash your hair??? My mom works out several days a week too, and a lady at this hair shop told us to only wash our hair every two weeks, but my mom says she feels "gross" if she doesn't wash her hair after a workout.

Eyes on the Prize said...

I wash my hair about every two weeks at best. Not after each workout cuz I don't think Black hair is built for that. But I also think it depends on your hair texture too if your hair can handle that. I don't think mine could. Gurl I don't even be thinking about my hair and how it feels after working out, and I sure as hell don't feel like messing with it after working out either. It'll mess up my 'high' from gettin my gym thang on. My hair is doing just fine without washing it after every workout though. I go like maybe once every couple months and I get feedback about the health and condition of my hair. So I guess it's a preference what you wanna do. So when you gonna cut it chica??? I never planned my chops though. I just was like, 'DO IT'. Of course there is some scissor remorse afterwards, but it'll pass. Believe me I know.

UglyCleanBroke87 said...

@Eyes I cut it off last Friday! When I first saw myself in the mirror I was like, "What the hell?" Then I styled it, threw on a cute ensemble, and I was really feeling myself. Lol.