Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

On Second Thought.......


I know I wrote this post a while back about my take on the Bad Girls Club reality show, where I professed my minor obsession with the ability to take a walk on the wild side through the cameras that follow the girls around Miami. After watching the past few episodes of BGC, I won't completely recant my previous statement; this is more of an addition to my thoughts since that post.

Now that BGC is nearing the end of the season, I am often left wondering if I just finished viewing a reality show episode, or an edition of "Girls Gone Wild." I don't think there has been one episode where the girls have NOT made out with each other and/or stripped down and jumped in the pool or shower for some group action. Their "fights" mostly consist of arguing with themselves in an empty room (but loud enough for their other roommates to hear), and throwing one another's clothes on the front lawn. Scary right?

*Cue not-so-Bad Girl talking shit to her equally not-so-Bad minion: "That bitch wants to mess with me?! I'll show her! Come on girl, we're going to throw ALL her panties out on the driveway! DONE!"*

*Not-so-Bad minion's response: "Hell yeah, that'll show her! You're soooo bad!" (while puffing on a cigarette)*

Whereas previous seasons of BGC seemed to have a mixture of catfights, drunken shenanigans, and sex, this particular season is just.......sex. Not just any sex; LESBIAN sex. Because somehow, being a lesbian = bad. Who decided that? I have no idea, but that's the message I get from watching. One girl even stated that she is a lesbian because "being straight is boring." So I suppose everyone in the world only has to start dating the same sex if they want a little spice in their lives. To say I'm offended is an understatement. I'm sure the producers think they're being "edgy." I think they're only showing just how archaic and small-minded they really are. Like many people's views on homosexuality, it is making the assumption that same-sex relations are a deviation that only "bad" people can participate in. Lesbians can't just be normal people who are capable of maintaining monogamous relationships; they only have the ability to make out with three other girls in a hot tub after too many shots of Patron.

I know that I shouldn't be looking for reality television to show an accurate depiction of lesbians, but I think it's pretty sad that this is the selling point for the season. I don't know how great of a strategy it was for them to go this route; I can't speak for anyone else, but I know that I can only take so much of seeing overly-airbrushed girls swapping spit in a limo. That ain't my idea of bad.

2 comments:

I'm Alee. said...

Good post girl! I'm not too sure why there always has to be some preconcieved notion about lesbian women/relationships. *shrugs*

tha unpretentious narcissist© said...

first of all..it's tv. it's fake tv. and it's stupid tv. lol. don't let it bother you. anyone who forms their opinions of lesbians from the bad girls clubs..can't be that smart anyway. lol.