Pages

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thankfulness & Shit.

The holidays are upon us, and in an attempt to balance out my usual complaining ways, I figured I would mention a couple things that I am grateful for this year:

  • I have a job. Yes it's shitty, and the policies change more often than I change my underwear, but it pays the bills. A couple years ago this time, I didn't even want to answer my phone because bill collectors were on my ass constantly, but I was so broke that I couldn't afford to make a minimum $25 payment on a credit card. Oddly enough, I feel like I'm not AS broke as I was in Atlanta, when I was making twice as much money as what I make now. Go figure.

  • I have finally been accepted at the college I was trying to get into! I spent most of my summer making phone calls and trying to get transcripts sent so I could attend school this fall. That didn't happen, because my old school still had a hold on my account for some reason. Just a couple weeks ago, I got everything straightened out and my mom bugged me enough to send a transcript request so I could get a head start for the spring semester. I did, and I got my acceptance letter last week. I still have plans to go to the Navy, but if that doesn't work out for whatever reason, it's good to know that I can still finish up school like I had planned.

  • I am free of all toxic "friendships." Over the past couple years, I have come across some of the best (and worst) friends I could imagine. I somehow managed to stay entangled in the web of the "bad friends" much longer than I should have. It got to the point where I felt like they were sucking me dry, and if they were in a bad mood, I would be in a bad mood. Although I can be a bitch, I'm sensitive as hell so I always end up taking on other people's burdens and emotions. I can finally say that I have severed contact with everyone who made me feel dead inside when I hung out with them, and I feel like I can breathe now.

  • I'm thankful for my family. I know that sounds cheesy as hell, and even though they get on my nerves, it's true. Living on my own showed me that they are the only people in the world that truly have my back, no matter what. We all still have growing to do, but I'm hopeful that we can get it together sooner or later.

  • I'm grateful that I cut my hair. LOL. I don't give a damn what anyone says about jumping on a "natural" bandwagon; this is the best decision I have ever made with my hair. I felt crazy as hell when I first cut it, but after styling it, I look pretty fucking hot, if I do say so. The compliments I get at work may help a bit too. :)

Okay, I'm going to stop here....this shit is too mushy and happy for me. What are you grateful for this year?

9 comments:

Sha Boogie said...

I totally want to be thankful for cutting my hair, too lol. I've been growing locs for 10+ years and I'm just about over it *sigh*

Eyes On The Prize (eyesOTP) said...

Well since y'all are talking about hair...thankful that I stopped perming nine years ago. My hair looks a lotta betta (when I decide to whip it out).

Damn, what am I thankful for?

Thankful that I felt love even if it was for fifteen minutes. LOL.

Thankful that I got a gig bartending so I can have some play money and send a couple bucks to moms.

The rest I will leave for my own blog I guess. Thanks for the idea...I'm biting!

:)

Eyes On The Prize (eyesOTP) said...

Dang what I happened?


Well now I'll be thankful if my comment posted! LOL.

I'm Alee. said...

Aww, I love this list. Rarely do I see you get all mushy on your readers lol.

I'm grateful for my big sister. She's like a mother to me and I don't know what I'd do without her.

I'm grateful for my best friend. I've known her since I was 13 (which makes me feel very old because I just turned 23)<<< shit, where does the time go?

I'm grateful for my job because I have one and they're hard to come by these days.

I'm grateful for the simple things in life most people take for granted: clean water, freedom of speech, clothing, food & shelter.

This is by far my favorite post.

UglyCleanBroke87 said...

@Sha Boogie, you've been growing your hair for 10 years?! I'm jealous. I love my little 'fro, but I'm (im)patiently waiting for it to grow so I can twist it, dread it, braid it, SOMETHING. Lol

@EOTP yay for love....no matter how short lived it may be. Still waiting for your "thankful" post. :)

@Alee, I always wanted a big sister. I'm the oldest so I get blamed for anything my siblings do, whether it was my fault or not. :-/ And please don't bring up the age thing! I will be 24 next April. Yikes!

Freckles said...

this list was great lil lady. I am also grateful for most of those things. I have been thinking about going ahead and finally finishing my masters after 10 years. I know right.craziness. We shall see.

I am thankful for so much. I am verymuc in tune with the little things. After living some life that i truly didnt plan for myself and still attempting to deal with my dad's death. I appreciate so much more. I am thankful for being in my right mind most of the time. I am thankful that I amf inding my inspiration to write again. Ia m thankful that I read this post at this time so that I could write something right now.

thanks lil sis. I am glad that you are mushy sometimes. it is a healthy place. now back to the regularly scheduled writing.

UglyCleanBroke87 said...

@Freckles, that would be awesome if you went back to school to get your masters. That's one of my future goals as well, so good luck.

I forgot to mention another thing I'm thankful for: my blog fam. I've "met" some pretty cool people on here, and I almost like y'all better than the people I meet in the "real world." Lol

Bossy Black Girl said...

Congrats on getting accepted into your college!!

Poppy said...

I'm thankful that I/YOU cut ties with all of your toxic friendships. I know exactly where you are coming from & I did the same thing. After all I've been through the past year w/ friends, I feel I need to be an advocate for woman trying to escape frenemies lol.

Congrats on school!!!!

I'm also thankful for my blog :-)