Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Vote or Die?

I know I'm probably about to catch hell from all the political fanatics out there, but hear me out.

I didn't vote yesterday.

I'm not making excuses for myself, but I had to work all day, and I wasn't getting up at 6am to vote for people and laws that I have not a clue about. I like to think that I am fairly socially and politically conscious, but I have never claimed to be a political buff. Whenever friends and colleagues get into heated debates about health care and taxes, I gladly shut the fuck up because I don't want to say anything stupid.

I just so happened to listened to the radio yesterday, and of course, every DJ felt the need to put in their two cents that everyone--especially black people--need to let their voices be heard. Our ancestors fought for this privilege, and we need to honor them by getting out to the ballots. Okay. I get that. Here's my issue though: why is it that these same DJs and media personalities never talk about the importance of politics and voting until about.....3 days before an election?

Like I said earlier, I'm not incredibly savvy when it comes to politics, so Proposition A and B really don't mean much to me. Call me ignorant if you want, but they don't. And I have a feeling they don't mean much to most people my age either. I have 52,001 things on my mind, and the last thing I think about after a stressful day at work is getting online to research all the politicians in my state so I can know what they stand for. Especially since the commercials they show a few weeks before an election seem to do nothing but throw shade at everything their opponents are NOT doing.

I feel that if the media wants to stress the importance of voting, they should do it all year, not just when an election is coming up. They should actually educate people on WHY they should vote, instead of just saying, "VOTE OR DIE!" Get the fuck outta here. We're all going to die, whether we vote or not. Don't tell me that voting for or against a certain bill is going to determine whether or not there is a 2.5% increase on a property tax that I have never heard of. What the hell does that mean? All of that political lingo is headache-inducing. Speak to me in English, please.

I don't know. It seems like voting nowadays is more of a "trendy" thing to do rather than doing something to get shit done. I voted for Obama back in '08. That was a no-brainer, considering that I could just look at McCain on TV and tell that he wouldn't care much about the well-being of my black ass. Of course, Obama won. There was all this talk of "change," but what has changed? Not a damn thing, as far as I can tell. I still got fired from my job not too long after he was elected, so nothing has changed as far as the dumb-ass employment laws in America. The recession still seems to be going strong. Apparently a health care bill was passed a while ago, but I still don't have health insurance. Why is the government being so secretive about it? Or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places? Why did everyone think having a Black man in office was going to make things all better? Didn't Black people work to change plenty of laws before Obama was even thought of?

Maybe I'm being my normal hardheaded self in thinking that my opinion doesn't matter. There's plenty going on in the world that I would like to change, and I don't see how electing some random person to be Senator is going to help my concerns. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

15 comments:

I'm Alee. said...

Well... I didn't vote either. I'm not all that impressed with Obama or anyone else in the running. Big deal.

NC17 said...

voting is wack.

Anonymous said...

Neither President Obama or ANYONE could fix the mess he inherited. Maybe you didn't notice but the economy started failing in 2007 and completely collapsed in 2008 particularly in September. We were hemoraging jobs due to the collapse of housing values and subprime lending. The housing values were not only underlying most of the building that was driving the economy but also most of the consumer spending due to very easy home equity loans based on inflated home values. No mere mortal can fix this in 2 years maybe not in 4. Also the health care law may not be perfect but it adds tremendous security to people like me in their 50's in a shakey economy where affordable health ins is tied to a job. It will prevent many many people from losing life savings and homes in the case of getting sick. So maybe you have coverage and are no fan of the healthcare law but it is a hell of a lot better than what we had prior. I'm just disgusted that people did not get out and support him.

And what will the consquences be? The people who voted decided that $700 billion worth of tax cuts to the top 2% is more important than deficit reduction, then roads & bridges, then unemployment extentions and basic safety net programs like foodstamps housing assistance ssi and education... Those of us making less then 250,000 per year will have to help lower the deficit by cuts in government services. Thanks great move, not voting. You really showed them

UglyCleanBroke87 said...

@Anonymous I'm not sure if you completely read my post, because I clearly stated that I do NOT have health insurance. I never said I was against any health care laws, nor was I trying to "show" anyone anything by not voting. I just didn't. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm well aware of the fact that Obama could not magically fix all the wrong that was done during the previous president's term(s), but the people who campaigned for him put on this bright and shiny exterior to make it seem as if he was going to be some kind of superhero. I don't like sugarcoating shit, so I would rather he made some realistic goals for everyone to work towards.

Anonymous said...

Like I said - you really showed them how cool and unimpressed you are... the people who DID vote just decided the direction of our country. They just decided that instead of helping people during these hard times and trying to create jobs for people by spending tax dollars on things we need in this country, like schools and roads and unemployement insurance or even reducing the deficit we should instead give $700 billion to billionaires. Thats right. So you don't like "sugar coating shit" well now maybe we will all get our shit without any sugar. It amazes me the people who sit on their butts and complain about politicians not keeping promises ect but when the politicians need their support in order to actually keep those promises they are too lazy to make a trip to the polls. There are people who benefit from attitudes like yours - they benefit greatly, monetarily and they just did.

Anonymous said...

Also, I understand its easy to get discouraged and disillusioned when u watch the long slow messy process that democracy is. Politicians actually do derive their power from our support. I don't just believe it I KNOW it benefits the rich and powerful when those of us who are not rich and powerful don't vote. Cause all the money in the world can't actually buy our votes unless we decide to sell them. And it takes votes not money to win. The money is just used to help "buy your vote" with advertising. Personally I think Obamas election and especially the excitment he generated scared the crap out of them. And it has been an all out war to smear him since. Turn your radio to am, scan the channels and just listen for a short time ANY day ANY hour. The radical hate talk you will hear has been going on 24/7 for 2 years now.

Anonymous said...

But he just lost his power to do much of anything...

The Notorious ZAG said...

You people and your politics.
I think its fine that you didn't vote. Oh well, the time has come and gone... nothing anyone can do about it.
I voted, but I also had the entire day off to do so; if I didn't it probably wouldn't be a big deal to me either.
Anonymous, what do you really know about how politics work? Do you investigate beyond what the media is telling you? People kill me when they go on these rants and raves without looking at all possibilities. Do some research, while Blacks are searching for someone like Obama to lead us to the promised land, there are much bigger, deeper, wider things going on that we refuse to see. Not to mention the things civilians have no idea about.
Not voting is really no big deal... whatever happens was going to happen anyway.

Pattie said...

I too did not vote...I don't know after I was kicked out of the car on the way to vote last presidential election b/c I was voting republican I have felt like everyone one being a bit over the top so I've been pretty laid back. I kind of feel this time around I just to uninformed to make an educated vote :)

I'm Alee. said...

I don't understand why people get so worked up in the comment sections of blogs. Everybody isn't going to share the same opinion. Be a grownup about it!

Anonymous said...

How do I know? I just do some watching and listening directly to as much as I can. I hate listening through media that only shows me clips of what someones else thinks. I watch Cspan or listen to the entire speech online when ever I can. Whitehouse.gov has lots of info. or Just Google news and you get it on a number of subjects from a number of points of view. or read some of the fact checkers. Check out a couple and make up your own mind. No one is asking for the promise land I'm just looking for an America that focuses on the regular people not the few rich guys at the top. And if you don't think there is a difference between $700 billion going into the pockets of the wealthy or going into public works and schools and student loans ==== I just don't know how it could be any clearer of a choice.

Anonymous said...

Why do people take voting serious? Well do you care about laws like a minimum wage law? It is the lawmakers who put that law in place. If no one votes and corporations just get their way just what do you think is on their wish list? I'd say topping the corp wish list is the cheapest labor they can find. Y'all like working for nothing?

Anonymous said...

y'all like unemployment benefits when you lose your job? Its the lawmakers who vote for these and the republicans who each and everyone of them voted against unemployment extentions just a couple months ago...Thanks guys you just put these creeps back in power. Hope you don't have any friends or family on unemployment.

UglyCleanBroke87 said...

I love how all of the anonymous folks assumed that I would have voted Democrat. Nowhere in this post did I say I was a Democrat, nor did I say I would have voted for them had I made the decision to vote.

Also, if you all went back and read some of my previous posts, rather than going in on this one post, you would see that I've had my share of dealing with the unemployment office, so the snide comments regarding unemployment are unnecessary. But thanks for reading.

SHE. said...

hmmm....would it be bad if I said that I just didn't give a damn?