Pages

Friday, November 19, 2010

Why Can't She Keep Her Man?

The hot topic of the week revolves around Eva Longoria and Tony Parker's announcement that they are divorcing after 3 years of marriage. As with most celebrity divorces, folks are wasting no time speculating on why they are divorcing, and they are also wasting no time putting in their two cents on the matter in blog comments.

Apparently, the reason behind the divorce is because Tony Parker was caught exchanging flirtatious text messages with another woman. While browsing through a blog (or maybe it was on Twitter...I forget), I read a comment by a woman that "we regular women don't stand a chance of having a faithful husband, if Eva Longoria can't even keep a man."

Let me say that I would like to give a sincere side-eye and middle finger to that woman. Why is it that whenever a celebrity cheats on his wife, people always holler about the woman not being able to "keep" him? What is this "keep" shit about? Is he a pet? A runaway slave?

I understand where they are coming from in a sense. It's instinctive to look at Eva Longoria and wonder what the hell Tony Parker was thinking by cheating on her. However, I believe that if a man wants to cheat, he will cheat, and it doesn't matter how good you look. This isn't the first celebrity scandal revolving a man's unfaithfulness to his gorgeous, successful wife, and I'm sure it won't be the last. How many Halle Berrys and Eva Longorias will it take for folks to realize that good genes are not a foolproof way to ward off infidelity?

Further, why is it always considered a woman's duty to "keep" her man? How do we know Eva didn't do everything she could to make Tony happy? I know nothing about their personal lives, but I remember back when they were first dating, she could be seen at all of his basketball games. I have a pretty good BS detector, but it didn't look like a publicity stunt to me; she seemed like she genuinely wanted to be there and support him. She could have been the picture-perfect wife, for all we know. On the other hand, she could have been a royal bitch behind closed doors, and maybe Tony felt the need to reach out to another woman for moral support. No one really knows.

What I do know is that it's not fair to suggest that any marital failure is due to a woman's inability to please her husband. I think it should be a two-way street, but I never hear anyone chastise men for not being able to "keep" a woman. It's also ludicrous to assume that looks alone will keep a relationship together. If that were the case, I wouldn't hear and see pretty girls crying, "He left me for HER?!?! That bitch ugly!"

7 comments:

Eyes On The Prize (eyesOTP) said...

Yeah I know that looks definitely won't make him stay, but it will keep them buzzing around you I guess. LOL.

I love this post, because I've always wondered why the blame gets put on the female when the relationship breaks up at times. If the man cheats, it's the woman's fault for not doing what she could so that he wouldn't cheat. We carry such a burden don't we! Geezus.

K. Rock said...

I get so sick of people thinking that just because someone is pretty, that she can't be cheated on. If a man wants to cheat, he will. Looks are not all that make up a whole person.

I'm Alee. said...

I don't get the "keep" thing either- like she was holding on to him for dear life and he still got away and cheated. Keep is the wrong word. I would rather someone just say "stay married" or "have a successful relationship." That would make a lot more sense than "keep" because it does not imply that somehow it's all Eva's fault.

theemrsgordon said...

Hey girl... nice to be back♥

I hate that they are getting divorced. I thought they were truly genuinely in love and beyond adorable together. With that being said, he has been looking extra horrible in the fact lately. I guess its the stress now that I know they're getting divorced. :(

This post reminds me of a status message a close friend posted the other day. And I quote ""He doesn't have commitment issues he just has issues being committed to u. I bet he don't cheat on his barber."
Think about it. lol

Reggie said...

Infidelity is never about looks, it's a tad bit deeper than that.

This is an old story, a very old story. Love should have had him at home last night, yet a blowjob had him out in the street.

Maybe she was spending too much time looking pretty and not enough time handling her business?!?

UglyCleanBroke87 said...

@Reggie, yeah, the world may never know what the REAL issue was between them. All we can do is speculate.

P.S. Thanks to everyone for the comments! I know I have been slacking on replying, but I promise to do better. :)

Poppy said...

Thumbs way up to you on this post!

I agree, its not fair to suggest that a woman can't "keep" her man.

You said it all.