Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

Oh Keri.



I know I'm late commenting on this, but I figured better late than never. By now, I'm sure most of you have seen (or heard about) Keri Hilson's latest video "The Way You Love Me." If you haven't seen it yet, you can check it out here. The sexually charged lyrics and dancing in the video sparked a lot of controversy, and Keri Hilson subsequently did an interview explaining her "vision" behind the video.

I commented on a couple blogs about the video, so I'm kind of repeating myself here. One of my comments was in response to a video made by Youtuber Kingsley and his response to Keri's video:

The issue I have with Keri Hilson's video is not that it was overly sexual. If she wants to throw her p*ssy around, that's her choice. The problem is that the video concept sucked. The lyrics sucked. I said the same thing about Kiely's "Spectacular" video. Both looked low-budget and other than the over-the-top raunchiness, they are ultimately forgettable. Plus, Keri is a songwriter; I expect more creative lyrics from her.
Although some of Kingsley's remarks sound a bit "stan"-ish, I agree with him about how drastic it is that Keri went from "Don't feel on my booty" to "Fuck me, fuck me!" She did an interview just last year about how she did not want to be overly sexed (which can be found here), and she has completely contradicted herself. Some people argue that her record label may have put her up to emerging with this new image. I honestly don't care WHAT her record label may or may not have told her to do. She's a grown woman. And in the event that her label DID tell her to go in this direction, they completely failed. Like, who is going to buy this? *Most* heterosexual women won't, because seeing another woman p*ssy popping does nothing for them. Men may beat off to the video, but they won't go out and buy her album. That leaves the "gays," who have already pledged their allegiance to "she who will not be named on this blog." (Y'all know who I'm talking about. Who do folks ALWAYS compare ANY female R&B singer to???)

Ultimately, Keri may have lost her original fans, who are not feeling this new wannabe sexpot image, and she's not gaining any fans because no one believes her.

9 comments:

Bossy Black Girl said...

Agree 100%.

What I don't understand is why every singer tries to play the sex card when they want attention. There are so many other directions that she could have gone....

Jolie K. said...

I personally like Keri Hilson, but this video had me looking like x_x
Keri, I fuckswitchu girl! but this was a FAIL.

I'm Alee. said...

*sigh*
I guess this is what it's come to.
Dead @ that picture and the link.

Seygra20 said...

I wasn't a fan of Keri but the lyrics of the song doesn't catch my attention. You should check out Raheem Devaughn's new one. .....sigh!

UglyCleanBroke87 said...

The interview where she "explains" herself is just as full of contradictions as the interview she did in '09. One minute she says the song is for grown folks, the next she's patting herself on the back for putting a "kid-friendly" version of the song on her album. Just too much.

@Seygra, yes I've seen Raheem Devaughn's video as well. Some people claim that he is selling sex to get more record sales too, but I'm not too familiar with his music so I can't speak on that. All I know is that his video was not ridiculously "in your face" like Keri's video, so I can appreciate that.

Alee. said...

LMAO @ your comment not posting on AP. I probably shouldn't be laughing but the same thing happened to me on this blog not too long ago.

Miss Carmel said...

Keri Hilson has lost my respect, i wnt even start with what i think about her new sexually overt image...there goes another female fatale *sigh*

oh & can i say she is STIFF! damn Keri, if ur gonna grind 4 da world 2 see den at least do it properly lol

MindOfACreator91 said...

Wow... don't know what else to say

Poppy said...

My male best friend was like "did you see Keri's new video? Woowee"

So I checked it out and all I could say was "REALLY KERI? REALLY?" She did herself a huge dis-service with that video & wack ass song!