Pages

Monday, December 13, 2010

An Uglycleanbroke Review of "For Colored Girls."


I know, I know....I'm late as usual. I finally got the chance to see "For Colored Girls" last weekend, and I'm just now getting a chance to sit down and put together my thoughts about the film.

I read several reviews of the movie before seeing it, from my fellow bloggers as well as film critics, and the reviews were mixed. People's opinions on "For Colored Girls" were very black and white; they either loved it or hated it. There was no middle ground that I could see. I must say that I am on the side of those that enjoyed the film. I feel like all of the actors gave solid performances, including Janet Jackson, who I have never really cared for as an actress. I was also pleased that Tyler Perry didn't pop up anywhere, either as "Madea" or as his usual bland, unneeded supporting character.

I've heard some say that the movie was "depressing," or it shed a negative light on African-American women as being "victims," but I disagree. It's true that the tragedies in the film often outweighed the happy moments, but isn't that similar to everyday life? Is it really that far fetched to see women of color dealing with issues like abortion, sexual abuse, and cheating lovers? Is it not true that HIV is one of the leading causes of death among African American women?

What I don't understand is that Tyler Perry is always criticized for his portrayal of black people as over-the-top and ridiculous, and now that he's taken a more serious approach.....he's being criticized because the subject matter is TOO serious. It's the classic case of "Damned if you do, and damned if you don't."

The one thing that irked me about the movie was how the dialogue between the characters segued into each "colored girl's" monologue. It was a little awkward simply because it was so easy to distinguish where the modern language of the script ended, and where the book's original poetry began. The sudden change gave me the feeling of watching a musical, where the characters break into song in the middle of a conversation.

Overall, I would say "For Colored Girls" is definitely one of Tyler Perry's better films, and I appreciate that he made the effort to do something different from his usual coon-ish comedies.

Uglycleanbroke rating:
★ ★ ★ ★

10 comments:

Seygra20 said...

My take on it was
1) I disliked the in your face camera shots
2) I disliked the random & long outbursts of poetry, during the actresses critical scenes
3) I did enjoy the fact that in the end all the women's story lines became connected to each other
In all, the over the top drama, downplayed the true meaning captured by the book. I gave it 20% on RT

Sha Boogie said...

I totally loved the film. I'm not really a fan of T.Perry... his story lines are too predictable for me. But this right here? A winner! Depressing? Kinda? But it was cinematically fresh. Snaps for Perry!

Jolie K. said...

Overall I liked the movie but that monologue shit threw me off. I understand where the movie is derived from and all but it was annoying! I thought I was the only one that felt this way

Bossy Black Girl said...

I liked the movie but Tyler Perry does tend to go overboard in his other films. But...in his defense...he adapted this from someone else

UglyCleanBroke87 said...

@Seygra damn 20%? Lol, oh well. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I really didn't pay much attention to the zoomed in camera shots.

@Sha Boogie, yes I would definitely be more supportive of Tyler Perry if he switched it up a bit more with his films.

@Jolie, no you weren't the only one....I cringed a little whenever they started with the monologues lol

@BBG that's true that he adapted this film from someone else's idea. That may be another reason why everyone has been so critical of his latest endeavor, because it's not really "his" own creativity.

Eyes On The Prize (eyesOTP) said...

Well you are not alone...I haven't seen it yet either. I guess it may be in a theater still out there somewhere. I may check for it during the holidays. I do value what other people say on the film, and at least you weren't just on one side from the giddyup - I love Tyler or I hate Tyler - and just rolled with that mindset. I'm not a fan of slapstick comedy from any director honestly, but you have a good point about the damned if you do thing. I'll give this flick a shot though. I love the play so that's a draw for me.

Thanks for the review!

Poppy said...

I loved the movie! I did think it was depressing but it was based off of a depressing play/book so there was no way to brighten it up for those who couldnt handle a deep film. I was the girl in the theather crying hysterically with tissues. Yup I'm "that girl".

The poetry was my favorite part...I was thrown off a little in the begining when they would transition from dialouge to poetry then I got use to it.

authenticexpressionz said...

Hey hun... feels great to visit ur blog again. Hope all is well with you♥

Anywho... I was able to see this film when it FIRST came out. ahem... Ms Late LOL I agree with ur rating and review of it. Im awfully glad Tyler Perry wasnt the husband of one of them or the bestfriend or ANYWHERE in the movie. It would have destroyed it for me. I think people just like being rude to him and thats why they rate his work so harshly. Some even went as far as to say that he shouldnt have taken on such a deep piece... like he's some amateur unworthy of something so real. *shrugs* I think he did an excellent job. Im a poet so I know all about the monologues that were featured... and I also felt like I was watching some musical. I think it confused most people... and the movie could have been better (a smidge) if the monologues werent incorporated word for word but rather the topic of each monoluge simply discussed and written into the script. :)

The Notorious ZAG said...

Those monologues were very jarring. I was confused as hell the first time it happened (ok maybe the first 2 times) before I realized that these were parts taken from the book. I think that part was poorly done. Other than that, I also thought it was a pretty solid movie. I can't do Madea or any of those other chitterling circuit type movies, but his serious ones have been ok (could do without those bland ass TP supporting parts). Its rare that we see all these Black actresses on one screen. So I'm all for it! I give it a solid 7 out of 10

Confessions of A Confused City Girl said...

The monologues to me were well done only because at times you were not sure if it was a monologue of the script... I liked the movie for a plethora of reasons. I think it's a movie that either resonates with a person or doesn't... you're right, there is no "middle ground"

Btw, please check out my blog, i am doing my FIRST giveaway ever! You can enter if you like :-)

~Sherine
Check out my Giveaway!
Confessions Of A City Girl