Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

There Goes Another One.


One of my favorite female R&B artists, Jazmine Sullivan, announced earlier this week that she will be taking a break from the music industry. The announcement was made via (where else?) Twitter, and subsequently deleted (surprise). Basically, she was saying that being in the industry is no longer something she enjoys and she needs time to find herself.

As a Jazmine Sullivan mini-stan, I must say I was disappointed to hear this. I think she has a beautiful voice, and she is one of the few artists in the music industry with real talent. I also copped a little attitude due to the fact that several bloggers, including one that I LOVE, decided to post on Jazmine only after she announced that she will be taking a break from music. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like there has to be just a TEENY bit of shade that is being thrown when these same bloggers never bothered to post any entries on Jazmine's album release or anything. But as soon as she seems to be throwing in the towel, everyone wants to give her some recognition? Typical.

I have to wonder if this "break" she is taking has anything to do with not-so-stellar album sales from her "Love Me Back" album, which was released less than two months ago. I bought the album and there are a few tracks that I like, but ultimately I prefer her first album. I did a little Googling and found that she sold about 57,000 copies of her second album in the first week. I'm not a Billboard charts buff, but I'm assuming those numbers were not pleasing to the powers-that-be at her record label, and we all know what happens when record label execs are not pleased.

So there goes yet another artist who made the silly mistake of relying on talent rather than gimmicks when creating her music. Another artist that seems to be pushed to the background along with the likes of Janelle Monae, Lupe Fiasco, and Melanie Fiona. That pisses me off. Why can't Soulja Boy, or Wacka Flocka, or Nicki Minaj, take a break from music? Oh that's right, because if any of these artists recorded themselves taking a shit, the world would gasp in amazement and claim that those are the best bars they've ever heard. Because the masses would rather "do it with no hands" and pretend that they're Barbies, than support music with substance.

That's just the world we live in. Maybe I should join the crowd and cop me a pink wig, some false eyelashes, and make distorted, semi-retarded facial expressions while rapping along with nursery rhyme lyrics.

3 comments:

Eyes On The Prize (eyesOTP) said...

Applause!

Great post. I was asking myself why our R n B singing sistas are soooo down played lately. It is disappointing to hear about Jazzmine.

Poppy said...

The last two paragraphs sums up EXACTLY how I feel about the industry. Hopefully she'll get back into the game after she finds herself, at least she didn't sell out.

Alee. said...

*DEAD* @ do it with no hands.
Hahahahaha I'm done!

But seriously, I always find myself complaining about this wack ass music industry for the reasons you named and some of my own. It sucks that she's taking a break from music because Jas happens to be one of the only real female R&B singers out right now.

Womp womp...