Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

No Heterosexual Man.............




..............Should ever dye his hair. At least that's the comment that I saw on another blog after Chris Brown posted a pic of his new platinum blonde 'do.

Reading that comment amused and annoyed me all at the same time. I have a brother who dyes his hair frequently (as a matter of fact, he just dyed his hair blonde this past week for the 60,000th time). He's a heterosexual, although his sexuality has been called into question before, based on superficial "guidelines" people have for straight men. Quite often in the media, and in everyday life, there seems to be a double standard on what each gender can get away with. Women are pretty liberated with the style choices they make, but for men, apparently there is some unofficial rulebook on what straight men can and cannot wear, and can and cannot do.

To be honest, I've been guilty of seeing a guy do something that I found to be questionable, and I found myself thinking, "This dude is gay....." For example, just the other day, I was unfortunate enough to come across a leaked semi-nude pic of the rapper Young Berg. Go here to check out the NSFW photo if you dare. I don't know....something about his pose, the way he pursed his lips just so, the Blackberry Pearl, all gave me some serious gay-dar vibes. In this situation, I think my suspicions are valid, but I digress. My point is, what is it that's wired into us to automatically think hair color, or wearing certain jeans, or anything else, is not acceptable if a man is straight? Yet, I never hear anyone make comments like, "No heterosexual woman should shave her head bald" or "No heterosexual woman should wear sagging pants."

There have been more than enough publicized instances, in which the stereotypically masculine man turned out to be on the DL, so I really don't understand why people still make such generalized comments as the one mentioned above. The comment was made by a woman, which makes it all the more ridiculous to me, because women are the main ones that will reject a man for a stupid reason like "He dyed his hair blonde, and no heterosexual man should do that." These same women turn around and get sprung on a "manly man," then are heartbroken when it turns out the same dude is creeping with one of his homies.

I guess I have to start with myself though, and be more conscious of not immediately throwing up "He's gay" flags, the moment a guy does or wears something that society says is unacceptable for a heterosexual man.

7 comments:

The Notorious ZAG said...

And, not to mention...white guys dye their hair all the time and its never questioned. If I'm not mistaken, Brad Pitt has gone from brunette to blonde time after time. Has his sexuality ever been in question? T-Pain dip dyes his dreads, but I've never heard about him being gay for it. Granted, I too am guilty of labeling something or someone as, "gay," but with all the crossdressing, tight jeans wearing, ice-cream cone tatt getting going on, who's to say who's queer and who isn't? Like you said, the toughest of the tough are usually the ones bending and spreading...

MindOfACreator91 said...

That's interesting that someone would be stupid enough to even go there (although, Chris is not pulling off the blonde do, sorry). anyway, It is funny how it is considered gay to dye your hair if you're a male... I like to see this handbook, I'm sure I'm guilty of several things... eventhough I'm straight.

by the way... it's the 99,997th time trick! lol

Poppy said...

LMAO off at this post & LMAO @ The Notorious ZAG up there "he toughest of the tough are usually the ones bending and spreading". HAHA too funny, my Lord!

White men do dye their hair all the time, I think black guys just don't pull it off as well. Even though I don't think Chris looks that bad. And Young Berg looks pretty gay but I haven't seen a dick in so long, his little pee pee isn't looking that bad right about now, just thought I'd share that for some reason haha.

I'm very loose with throwing the gay word out there, I think 90% of men are gay for very dumb reasons, like the way he chews his food...gay!

Alee. said...

I highly doubt Chris Brown is gay and even if he is, so what? People have way too much time on their hands worrying about someone else's sexual preferences. The ones who leave comments on these blogs- I would love to see what some of them look like. lol

UglyCleanBroke87 said...

@Notorious ZAG, you're so right about white men not being labeled gay when they make certain style choices. That's a great point I hadn't even thought of.

@Poppy LMAOOOO at your comment about Young Berg! iCan't with you right now! LOL

Alee. said...

I want to know what you think of this "leaked" nude picture of him. Have you seen it yet? lol

UglyCleanBroke87 said...

@Alee, lol yeah I saw it.

I saw you posted about it, but when I went to comment, it was gone! Haha