Pages

Monday, October 19, 2015

Some Randomness.

I realized I've only done about three blog posts this year. :/ I'm not doing too great of a job at this anymore. It's not even that I don't enjoy blogging; lately it just seems that my life is boring as shit, so I have nothing to write about. Or if I think of something to write about, I'm too lazy to actually do it and once I get around to writing a post, it doesn't seem like anything worth posting.

Anyway, there's still not a whole lot going on around these parts. Well, I guess there kinda is but it doesn't seem like it. In less than 6 months, I may be a civilian again. The long five year contract that I signed is finally coming to an end and I will be a free woman again! Lol. However, I am kind of still looking at an opportunity to change my career path in the military and if I am able to, I might re-enlist for another 3-4 years. The process I have to go through has a lot of red tape, so I'm preparing myself for the worst case scenario...which really isn't the "worst," in my mind. As odd as it sounds, I am almost hoping that the process to change my job doesn't go through, so I can get back to somewhat of a normal life. No more having to take orders from uneducated morons simply because they outrank me, no more silly hair regulations, no more uniforms, no more waking up at ungodly hours, no more sitting in crazy traffic just to get on base. I may not be getting paid on the 1st and the 15th anymore, but at this point I feel like that is the only upside to being in the military, because I am pretty miserable in every other way. Although I am supposed to separate from the military in late February, I will be going on deployment with my ship next month. I'm not looking forward to it because I feel like it will be taking away time that I could be using to transition into civilian life, but that's the "needs of the Navy." I'm trying to just bear it and tell myself there is a light at the end of the tunnel. A light, plus a DD-214, which in my mind seems like having the golden ticket in a chocolate factory.

The big thing that is always stressed when it's close to time for anyone to transition out of the military is to "have a plan." Every senior ranking service member at my command makes the civilian world sound like some dark, scary, apocalyptic vortex that will suck you in and turn you into a dirty, homeless zombie if you don't have a plan. Well, maybe the foreboding words have an effect on those that came straight into the military out of high school, but I went to college and worked several jobs prior to joining the military, and although I know being a civilian is no cake walk, it is doable. Not only that, but in my experience, any time I've made plans, they've fallen through about 99.9% of the time. Therefore I make tentative plans, but I always keep in the back of my mind that those plans are not set in stone. With that being said, my tentative plan as of now, is to go back to school and finish my bachelor's degree. I am leaning towards either doing paralegal studies or political science. The ambitious side of me has dreams of going to law school, but the lazy side doesn't want to go through another 3-4 years of school, plus taking a bar exam. If the lazy side of me wins, I will finish my bachelor's and call it a day. I may try to get a part-time job while going to school, but ideally I would like to just concentrate on school without the added stress of juggling work and school, which I have always done in the past. I've gotten rid of my credit card debt and I am now working on paying as much as possible towards my car so that I have as few bills as possible when/if I get out next year. Stepping out from the security blanket of the military is exciting and a little scary at the same time, but I think it is time for a change.

6 comments:

Newy said...

When I made the leap from the Navy, the lifers tried to make it sound like it was a deep dark tunnel. It's not. The one thing I have missed though is the camaraderie of the Navy but the pay is better in the civilian world lol

UglyCleanBroke87 said...

Lol, yes I think we military folks hardly get paid enough for all the BS we go through...and at my command, there's no camaraderie so that's not even a factor for me. I believe I will survive.

LakiSwirl said...

When I got out (Go Air Force! lol), everyone tried to scare me into reenlisting by feeding me the same lines about the uncertainty of civilian life. But like you, I already did some time working before joining. Unlike you, I didn't have any degree. But transitioning was super easy for me even without one, and I think I landed on my feet quite nicely :) Having that DD-214 really sets you apart in the job market, depending on what you wanna do. Plus, if you wanna still do military/gov't work on the civilian side, you're seriously in the best state to do it, even if you might have to move a little more north. AND, don't forget you get that Post 9/11 GI Bill, and that has seriously been a boon for me. You could probably get by on just that if you decide to go back to school full time. I've been out for a minute, though, and you do tend to start to miss the military days the longer you're out, I'm not sure why. But you'll do fine, I wouldn't worry about a thing. You got this!!

UglyCleanBroke87 said...

Lol @ go Air Force. I might be crazy, but I am also contemplating doing the Air Force Reserves if I can get the job that I want. I guess it's kind of a security blanket for me. I do want to go to school full time...that's actually my "plan" as of now. I want to just go to school and not work, but I've had a job for so long I kinda feel like I'll be a bum if I'm not working lol. Thanks for the encouraging words!

LakiSwirl said...

Now, I will say this: I wish I had joined the Reserves like they told me. It's an easy gig, an easy route to retirement, and it keeps you in shape lol. I've gained some serious weight when I got out and it's hard keeping it off when your job doesn't depend on it. Even if you're just thinking about it, do it. You can always get out; it's easier to get out in the Reserves, but if you wait to get out completely THEN try go back in, it's really difficult. Most AF reservists I know are former sailors/soldiers/marines, so you'd be in good company.

UglyCleanBroke87 said...

Yeah I called a recruiter and she told me to call her once I get out to get the paperwork started, so I'm going to make sure I don't drop the ball. Oh and random, but I read the email you sent me years ago about GI Bill benefits and I am following that thing step by step! Lol